Friday, September 4, 2009

waking me up

Well, East of Eden's the best thing that's happened to me this year. No kidding. Except I get illogically sad that these characters were never real, that of course they never actually lived, and couldn't even have died. And I think of all the good people I know, and know that no one will ever read a book about them. But then, I suppose I believe there's already a story that's been written about all of us. At the moment, though, I don't favor thinking of people as tiny parts of a grand scheme, like stars in the milky way. I guess sometimes I wish that every person were a god, the secret, only-important meaning behind everything.

And that we could know it.

Guess I'll have to invent a machine that turns a person into their life's book.

2 comments:

  1. i think it's maybe the best thing that happened to me this year too. or at least so far? i'm glad you liked it.

    but the weren't never real. because some of them were based on steinbeck's family. so clearly steinbeck is one such machine.

    ReplyDelete