Friday, September 4, 2009

what I can't believe exists

is this right here. Why does it exist? I accidentally listened to this guy talk about his book on a Christian radio station while driving to Champaign, and within the space of a few excruciatingly annoying minutes he managed to assert that 

a) men are, of course, born with a greater store of courage
b) they need this courage to protect those "vulnerable and weak" people in their lives (their wives, and yes, those were the actual words used)
c) masculine courage (somehow aligned with physical strength) is what characterizes the heroes of our country- like, for example, the notoriously masculine MLK (...). 

When I read stuff like this I appreciate scholars and their methodical and their measured ways of letting you know that you're just spouting back the lies that you've always liked to be told. Because I can't do it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment