http://www.poemhunter.com/best-poems/edna-st-vincent-millay/interim/
I'm in the college years now, and when she mentions one of her poems, I google it and read it (she just described her teacher reading the above poem beautifully, though he has always before this been a "wretched" reader of verse). Anyway, it's a great method, this reading-letters-and-googling-the-poems-they-mention method. What a great way to learn about a person's life. Also, I have a list of poets whose work I know and like and it is not at all long, but it just got longer. booya.
I'm excited to see if her poetry gets better or worse as she gets older.
I'll probably be posting more about this.
NOTE: Nothing like the abruptness of a Wikipedia "Personal Life" section to shock you into sadness. So little is recorded of someone who thought so much and so well! There is only room to mention the persons she decided not to marry and the person she decided to marry after all, and that she was found dead at the bottom of a flight of stairs. I hate it. If I didn't know better, I would trust these words as a measure of a life. But, nope. Must read more biographies.
blog
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment