Friday, November 27, 2009

mid-90's "intellectual" Jewish romantic comedies are not. intelligent.

I'm living with this middle-aged liberal, knit-scarf owning, food co-op enthusiast until I find a place next semester. He might be upset that I just called him "middle-aged," because maybe he's 35. Well, I don't know how old he is. Anyway, he's the only person I can think of who doesn't care about anything the way Sam and I don't. He doesn't care when I pay the rent or what temperature I want to keep the house, or how long I stay, or whether or not I lock the house. He doesn't lock the house. He doesn't know where he puts anything, he writes memos to himself, and it takes him all day to pack for a trip because his mind wanders and he forgets that he still has to do laundry. In sum, he is GREAT, and we should NEVER be allowed to live together.

I am going through his VHS collection while he's traveling, and it's a bizarre world of 90's Jewish romantic comedies. They are all about so-called liberated intellectual women with hot mess-hair and blood-colored lipstick (why did they think that was a good idea?), and usually Billy Crystal makes an appearance. And they are just horrible, though fascinating. Probably the worst thing you can do to the romantic comedy is to try to pass it off as something for the intelligentsia. What is going on here? No one was funny in the 90's, either. No one was romantic, and no one was funny. The 90's weren't so long ago. How were we so wrong- about hair, about love? And why is it so obvious only ten years later?

I need fresh air. I need cable. The 90's have ended...the 90's have ended...the 90's have ended...

No comments:

Post a Comment