Monday, July 27, 2009

Don't Stop 'Til You Get Enough!


(Update: I have been listening to Michael Jackson's music for 20 of the 24 hours of the past four days in the car.)


I agree, the media coverage of Michael Jackson's death is insane. If I were in charge of CNN, I would mandate 24 hours of MJ-only news coverage following his death, sure, but I'm an irrational fan who should never, ever be in charge of a global news organization. It's been over a month. This. is. crazy.

However. What pop culture phenomenon has ever been this fascinating?

Take this lil' tidbit here:

"The prosthesis he normally attached to his damaged nose was missing, revealing bits of cartilage surrounding a small dark hole," the witness told the Mail.


This cannot be true.


I can only assume that whoever does not care about this also has no interest or natural curiosity in the bewildering mystery of such facts of nature as... black holes. He's our contemporary, but Michael Jackson is really as mystifying to me as King Tut. His death has just asked us to really try to come to terms for the first time with his existence in the first place, and I can't even do it.

No comments:

Post a Comment